Thursday 3 February 2011

Boardwalk Empire Completes Me

For the past few weeks I have noticed advertising on T.V and billboards for the new digital channel Sky Atlantic. This channel shows all the biggest shows coming out of America at the moment. The channel opened it's launch with the premier of the hit T.V series Boardwalk Empire starring Steve Buscemi, and was rather excited about seeing this as I have heard all the hype about it in magazines and T.V reviews.

The plot of the show follows that of a notorious gangster Nucky Thompson, also the treasurer of Atlantic City, and how he manipulates and does business with people. I don't know what it is about gangster films and shows, but as a guy I can only say I love them, there is something that is just suave and sophisticated about the. Need I remind anyone of The Godfather films and Goodfellas? I do not know a single person who doesn't like these films. Can you think of anyone?

Anyway, after watching the pilot episode I have to say it is one of the best things on television I have seen in a while, I was already hooked after the first episode. The story-line and acting were fantastic, and what made matters better was that the godfather of gangster films, Martin Scorsese, directs and produces this. This is a very stylish set piece set in 1920's Prohibition. The clothes, sets and music all add to the atmosphere of the time.

I wouldn't say this is a program for only guys,but think women would enjoy it too. My mum liked this, though did complain about the swearing as well as a few of the scenes in the show, but I think that's just a mum thing, they all do it.

Last night I watched the second episode, and can't wait to see the rest. This is a series I can tell I am going to really enjoy. I am also looking forward to seeing the show Mad Men, as I have heard pretty good things about this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment