Monday 22 February 2010

Goldilocks the Chav

One of our first projects we were given for the start of our second semester was on Pictorial Narration. For this were yet again had another lucky dip, of which we had to pick out the title of a fictional fantasy or real life event of the past. I felt that on this lucky dip I had a little bit more luck as the title I picked was Goldilocks and the Three Bears. With these were were to research thoroughly and eventually end up with and image or images that represented each tale, and this being through any medium of 2D or 3D imagery.

I began my research by the most obvious choice, reading the story and it's origins, and I actually learnt quite a bit about it. Did you know that it was not the original version? The first few tales along the same plot involved a ugly, little old women before as the original Little Red Riding Hood, then this progressed later into a fox who ventured into the three bears home. The bears at this time were three male bears, one huge, one medium and one small before being turned into a family of them.

Throughout my research I looked at how I could use this story as a pictorial narration, so I looked at animal crossing signs, porridge oat packaging, but the thing that caught my eye the most was the word porridge. This word made me think about the classic T.V show Porridge with Ronnie Barker who played a criminal locked up in prison serving his time or Porridge as in the title. This got me onto thinking that Goldilocks, well in the story she is a criminal. She breaks into the three bears home, steals their food, breaks there furniture and sleeps in their beds, this was the main idea I went on to further develop as I really believed that I could have the most fun with this.

So how was I going to represent this as a visual language, well I will tell you. I decided to make a report of the crime scene and in this I would involve short descriptions of the entire story, making things not too obvious so people had to read and think to understand what story it was they were reading. I had to think very hard of how I was going to make this believable instead of a little girl wandering into the house I made Goldilocks a teenage "Chav" named Blondie who had broken into the house and also gave her a criminal record. I added things throughout the report that would link into the story. Other things I included were evidence from the crime scene such as porridge oats, spoons, hair and DNA samples, and photographs of the crime scene and CCTV pictures of a girl fitting the same description as the suspect.

So now onto today. To finish up this project we were to talk to a small group of seven people in the class to present our final outcomes, and I am glad to say my tutors liked my result but did mention is needed a little bit of tweaking to make it all look a bit older and more used, but these are only little things that need done and will do it all in plenty of time for our assessment after the Easter break.

I will admit that I was not too sure about this project to begin with but once I got into it I really enjoyed it and was pleased with what I came up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment