Thursday 4 March 2010

The Shipping Forecast

Well we yet again had to do one of our famous lucky dips for the next project we are doing this semester, only this time we had to pick out areas around the British Isles that are on the shipping forecast. The area I picked out was Fastnet. At first I thought this was going to be a bit of a boring project but once we looked at the brief I thought it became a bit more interesting.

There are a few things that I have found very interesting about the area I have. Well number one is that well it is just south of Ireland. There is small island known as Fastnet Rock which is the home of the tallest Lighthouse around Ireland watch company Rolex organize a yacht race that starts off at the Isle of White goes all the way around Fastnet Rock before heading back to Plymouth. Even though this has gone on ever since the early 1900's, Rolex took over about 2000, 2001 and have done it ever since.

I also discovered that during the 1979 race a thick patch of fog had covered the entire area making it difficult for anyone on the boats to see. Eventually in the race a large majority of the capsized killing almost everyone on each vessel, which resulted in a massive search where not only the coast guard but fisherman and volunteers from all over did what they could to help search for survivors. There is a stone monument with all the deceased's name carved into it.

There was also another incident about 20 years before round about 1959 where too Royal Air Force Avro Shackleton MR.2 were involved in a mid air collision killing about thirteen men. So from looking at events and tragedies around Fastnet I have noticed it is a place I would personally avoid.

So now I have to come up with ideas in my sketchbook on what I could end up doing. So far the idea I have right now is a paranormal research center than is looking as paranormal activity from all the deaths that have occurred. I would also be thinking of doing this as Ireland has a very famous name for folklore with all the wonderful myths and legends they have. Even a few UFO sightings have been seen during the night but this is most likely just aircraft flying by.

I have only just begun this new project and have not decided what the final outcome will be, but will blog later on with what I will eventually do, so make sure you keep looking to see when it will be up.

No comments:

Post a Comment