Sunday 15 November 2009

7 Heavenly Sins

As promised here is the third part of my leather and quince project, and what was the purpose of researching this material and food, well we were to take these to and make a packaging product that had both items within the packaging and product. The thought process for it had to be relevant to them and we had to come up with a quirky and interesting product and come up with a unique form of packaging to hold it in.

So what did I come up with, well after I looked back at all the research on both items and noted what I thought were the most interesting and could help influence what the actual product would end up being. The main parts of my leather sketchbook that I looked at were the idea of bikers and the Hells Angels and how they are tough guys who wear leather, I began to wonder if I could make a product mainly aimed at them but what could I possibly do.

From this I went back and looked at my quince sketchbook and i will admit that I did struggle to come up with an idea for a product made out of quince as it is a fruit and there is not really a lot of fruit packaging about, so from here I began to think about other products that could have a quince taste to it, such as cheese, juice cleaning products for the smell, perfume, sweets, yogurts etc but could not find a way for there to be a reason to combine it with Hells Angels and worse could not find a purpose for using leather in the product.

It was after a quick discussion with my tutor and getting feedback on the idea of the biker which he preferred the most said I should take this idea forward but think out the box, so from this I had another glance at the sketchbook and saw that the Tudors used to make a sort of quince paste that they would seal with the royal emblem and thought this is an interesting idea and began to think of how I could make this a product for the Hells Angels and I thought about their reputation for being rebels and how they live free and have this reputation famous for good and bad reasons, and from this I realized that a quince is recently believed to have been the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden and not an apple and so got the idea that this was the origin deadly sin and this is how I have made my product appealing to the Angels.

The product I now have is a package made up of a leather jacket the is opened up by unzipping the jacket around the box and inside is a quince disc that is to be presented to a new Hells Angel that has just been initiated into the gang where they would eat the disc as part of their version of a church's holy communion, and under the quince in the box would be a badge with the Angels badge for the new member to attach to their jacket.

The package is not yet finished as I still need to finish the logo which is nearly done and add a band to the box then make a disc from plasticine before it is completed then I need to make an A3 page promoting the product with information about it. My product is a limited collectors item solely aimed at the Hells Angels group therefore only being bought by them. The product is called the 7 Heavenly Sins as it is to me the original sin and is ideal for a Hells Angel.

I will late add a few images of the final box and hope you will comment on it with your views of what I have finally done for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment