Sunday 15 November 2009

Some do Like it Hot

For the other big project we had to do we were to team up in pairs and were to take part in another lucky dip same as with the material and nutritional foods, to pick out the title of a classic film, the film I picked out was 'Some Like it Hot'.

This film for those of you who do not know was made in the year 1959 by director/producer Billy Wilder. The setting of this film is in the late 1930's during the time of the depression. Beginning in Chicago with two down on their luck musicians, one bass and one sax, witness a mob hit similar to that of the St. Valentines hit. So the two now on the run for their lives decide to take up a job to go to Florida as part of a band but the catch is that this band is an all women's group. Now the two friends are posing as female jazz players, where they now meet the never forgetful Marilyn Monroe.

So back to the project. first we had to team up in pairs, then as expected we had to watch the film while taking down notes on the themes, setting, key moments etc. of the film. Major themes of the film I thought were about friendship, how these two men's relationship grew stronger throughout the film, and admittedly through very funny coincidences, There was also the idea of how these two guy's who at the start see women as only a pleasurable object but then begin to understand what it is like to be a women, this is through them dressing up, and also for the actor Tony Curtis's character falling in love for the first time with the female lead (Monroe).

After we had our little discussion on the film we had to express themes and key moments in the form of a mood board, and this would also included the style of the film, such as it being set in an art deco period, the music, the film style etc. It was from this moment we had to then make a sketchbook on how we were going to tackle to actual model.

I will admit that making the model was a nightmare, well the process of it, no matter what we came up with, the idea was rejected and we would have to go back and rethink what the film was, this went on for sometime admittedly, but through some inspiration from a previous students model, of how they made a sort of cartoonist style piece, we came up with a sketch of what it would look like and thankfully we were given the go ahead. Both my partner and I had an equal part in the project, I designed the characters and he built them up for the model and we both took the photographs for it, but sadly he wasn't happy with graphics so he decided to leave for fine art, and good luck, but am so glad he built the model up as I would have really struggled with it.

I will admit that when taking the image into In Design I had a lot more freedom of what I was doing compared to the rest of the other groups as I got to do the rest of the poster the way I saw it, which does have its advantages and disadvantages such as I get to do it the way I want it to be, but I don't get any other views of what can make it better to other people.

The final poster I feel takes an element of lightheartedness from the film, even though the film is in black and white I decided to give it a bit of colour so the actual image stood out more and also decided that the font I have used was from the opening credits from the actual film, which I feel blends very well with the image itself. As a final part of this project we are to now create a three dimensional invitation for a fictional film exhibition at the film theatre in London, and is to take a certain element from our posters, and to see this final product you will need to go to the end of year exhibition for graphics.

No comments:

Post a Comment