Friday 20 November 2009

Tweenagers

This morning I had a lecture on advertising at Christmas, and were shown a video from a documentary from 2004 and how branding affects the mind of children of 9 to 12 year of age. This documentary followed three different children with different styles an asked questions why they think branded products are a must have and would not settle for less.

The youngest out of the three, a nine year old girl, I repeat, a nine year old girl, only wore brand clothing just so she could feel and look older, this meant she wore clothes that were so revealing it is quite disturbing to even think about let alone look at, that a young girl who is not even in secondary school dresses in clothing that was originally designed for adults, I find this to be shocking to be honest that the girls mother would pay for her daughter to wear these items of clothing, not only because of the way they can look but also because the brand names are more expensive, but this is only because of the name, there are less known companies who make just as much good clothing than say Nike etc as in the video, and can even make better clothing but its is only because big brands are well known they do have a right to sell it for a higher price, but not always it is good quality. The thing that got me about this girl was that she said if her parents through out all her big brand clothes and bought her new not as well known brands that she would not leave her house and sit in her pajamas all of the time. I was also amazed that someone so young was wearing as much make up as she was, even her father stated that he hated it on young girls, and I felt so sorry for him as no matter what he did to say no he couldn't in the end.

The second child was a young boy who was into skateboarding and to be honest seemed to be a bit of a wannabe, he said he never followed the big brand names because he didn't want to be a sheep like everyone else, but when we saw him shopping, well that was exactly what he was, he was as bad as the rest of them. I also noticed that he seemed to be a bit of a snob and a bit full of himself when he saw what the presenter was wearing, thinking his clothing was much more fashionable than his.

The last child at 12 years of age seemed at first to be a bit more mature, a normal girl about to go into her teens, already buying clothes but the difference was she bought hers from charity shops and car boot sales for a bargain price, she seemed that she did not want to follow in buying the big brand names too, but in the end contradicted herself by buying a new Bratz toy doll, But I will say this for her that because you may not always have enough money and try so hard not to buy big brand names does not mean that from time too time you cannot treat yourself to something a little special.

I think that is the category I would fit into, I do not always buy the big brand names which are often over priced, and tend to only do a shop of clothes once every six months or once a year as I have always just gotten the use out of most of my clothes but if I do see something nice that I want then I will buy it, therefore I also fall into the ploy by the company's who sell clothing and products, everyone and I mean everyone is partial to a bargain, no one is the exception, no matter how hard they try not too be.

To conclude this blog I felt sorry for all the parents of these children as they can't do anything to prevent their kids from watching adverts on the television and being influenced by these things, and am shocked that companies are trying to make children older than what they are only to sell more of the products to a new upcoming audience who can be more easily swayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment