Friday 23 October 2009

Enigma Graphics

This blog will be about the name I have changed my blog to and what it means and how I came up with it.

I am going back to last year when I studied graphic design at HND level and during our second block for that year did a project on the Creative Industries. For this we looked at business and freelance that goes on, and what sectors were involved in the Industry, there being 13 in total, then from this as part of the project and a requirement to pass I had to Design and create an identity for myself and produce business cards and a brochure of the best of my work from college.

To create my logo I had to think of something that expressed who i was and what my work was about. So Started think of what I wanted to include in it, to start off with I thought of a single image I could use but this I thought was quite difficult as I wanted to keep it mostly typography as this is an area in design that I use a lot and have quite a bit of interest in.

So the name of my identity, Enigma, came from what I thought of as a designer what it was I was doing, and after having been told that we as designers had to come up with a solution to solve a brief, the brief being a problem to solve, came up with the name enigma, meaning a code, to solve the solution.

The next thing I had to do was use a font that went with my style of work, which is more of a grunge and at times a graffiti style that I use. This was also difficult as it was coming so close to the deadline and was in a rush to complete everything. Even though I had completed the layout of my brochure I still needed a logo for my cover, so in the end I came up with a very dull and boring. It was black text in front of a bright yellow background which just did not work at all, but I had no choice but to hand it in, and surprisingly was told it was pretty good. The problem was I was very unhappy about it, but had to send it away for final print to an actual company.

So now I am at university and for one class am designing a website which it to define me, so I took this as a perfect opportunity to re brand myself, so I spent a little bit more time into thinking what best suits me, and now have a font that I think is well suited to me and have an identity I am very happy with, (for the moment). I even used material for a background that makes it look like it has been done on a wall just to give it that little extra feel.

the image I have used is a photo from the table of my end of year exhibition, where you can see the identity on the brochure and cards, but not everything on the table is mine, the tea and jam packaging is from another student but the rest is mine, and at the top of this page is the latest version.

No comments:

Post a Comment