Friday 2 October 2009

Leather

I have recently just finished the first of a three part project which the end product has not been given so we have had no idea what we are researching for. So the first part was to be a sketchbook of research on a material that we picked out of a lucky dip and as luck would have it I picked out leather. Part of this was to research everything we could about the material and so there were no restrictions to research and experimentation.
So where did I go from here well I looked into where exactly leather came from and how it has been used in history, the emotions it gave off and how even today it is used. It is a material that we all crave and the company's who distribute it easily influence us all to but leather materials. A perfect example is in the film and music industry such as The Terminator, that film made so many people want a leather jacket just because it looked cool to have and this was because of one man who wore it.
After my research I started me experiments, and for this I did such things and splattering ink onto paper because of the textures of leather. I then went on to look at the hells angels and how aggressive it can make people feel and how important it makes them, so this took me onto psychology and the ink blots that are used in this to get an image of what a person can see on a piece of paper. So basically I was combining all of the information together and creating a basic layout for what is later to come. I am currently working on the second part of this project which is a sketchbook on food and nutrients. the one I picked out this time was Quince, which I will explain later in another blog. Once this is done we will be given another brief which will make us combine both the sketchbooks into a final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment